Windows 8, Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center, and Scrolling Problems

I’ve been running Windows 8 since the Developer Preview, and I’ve been pretty satisfied with it. One thing I especially like is the gestures I can use with my Microsoft Touch Mouse that allow me to open the Charms bar, minimize all windows, and other nice shortcuts. But lately, I’ve been experiencing scrolling issues. Several programs, for whatever reason, have stopped scrolling. And not some obscure software, I’m talking about things like AD Users and Computers, Backup Exec, and Outlook.

So, being tired of not being able to scroll, I decided to do a little troubleshooting to see what might be causing this problem. As the Microsoft Mouse and Keyboard Center don’t come with the OS but must be installed separately, I thought it would start with that, maybe a reinstall would help. I went to the website downloads section and grabbed MouseKeyboardCenter_64bit_ENG_2.0.161.exe. I uninstalled the software, and reinstalled. No change. The uninstaller said a reboot might be necessary, but I was not asked to do one. So I uninstalled again, rebooted, and reinstalled once more. Still no scrolling. Some digging around on Microsoft’s website yielded MouseKeyboardCenter_64bit_ENG_2.0.162.exe, a slightly newer version than the download offered on the main download site. Uninstalled and installed the newer version, still no scrolling.

So I uninstalled again, and noticed that the scrolling, though somewhat erratic, was working without the Mouse and Keyboard Center. But none of the touch gestures, of course. So I figured it had to be something with that software causing the issue. So I reinstalled and checked out what executables it installs that were running. I discovered an ipoint.exe and itype.exe that were in my list of processes. Thinking perhaps they weren’t able to do what they were supposed to (based on an Outlook problem I was having earlier with digitally signing emails) I killed those two processes, set them to always run as administrator, and relaunched them.

Bingo! I now have scrolling again in all my apps. The only other caveat is that you also have to set Mouse and Keyboard Center to run as an administrator as well, or it will just hang when it starts up.

PowerShell and the Not enough storage is available to complete this operation error

Recently while running a PowerShell script, I started having some problems that had never happened before. I hadn’t made any changes to the script, but the section of the script that remotes into a SharePoint server and updates a list quit working for some reason. The script was just hanging there, and would eventually time out on that section and move on. Luckily, PowerShell threw an error at me to give me some idea of what was happening.

Processing data for a remote command failed with the following error message: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.

“Not enough storage is available”? The first thing my brain did was flashback to NT4 Service Pack 3. Do I need to set the IRPStackSize registry key? Probably not, and I was really surprised I remembered that issue, it’s been a decade or so.

After some Googling with Bing, I discovered that by default, WSMan allocates only 150M of memory to each remote shell. You can verify that by running this one-liner:

(Get-Item WSMan:localhostShellMaxMemoryPerShellMB).Value

That should return 150 if you haven’t made any modifications. My script wasn’t putting that much data into SharePoint, but I figured this looked like a likely culprit, and hey, memory is cheap these days. So I bumped that 150M up to 1G.

Set-Item WSMan:localhostShellMaxMemoryPerShellMB -Value 1024

After changing that setting and running the script again… Bingo! The SharePoint data was successfully input and the script was fully functional again. I’m not sure what might have caused that to happen as nothing had changed in the script or on the server, but as long as it’s working, I’m happy.

How To Fix The Daily Dilbert Sidebar Gadget

UPDATE: It seems that the gadget broke again yesterday (6/25/2013). The Dilbert RSS feed that was supplying the gadget with the comic strips (http://feed.dilbert.com/dilbert/daily_strip) was modified to no longer show the actual comic. Instead, there is now this:

Dilbert readers – Please visit Dilbert.com to read this feature. Due to changes with our feeds, we are now making this RSS feed a link to Dilbert.com.

So… I’ll have to see if I can find another feed and try and get that to work with the gadget. But for now, it’s just broken, sorry. /UPDATE

After a nice long vacation, I came back to my Windows 8 PC today and decided to get caught up on Dilbert with my handy dandy Dilbert Gadget. Yes, I still use Microsoft’s Gadgets on Windows 8. Do a search for 8 Gadget Pack and you can, too. But to my surprise, when I clicked on any of the dates, Windows sent me to Internet Explorer which informed me that the csharptricks.com domain is kaput.

Sorry to see those guys drop off the web, but just because they are gone doesn’t mean that I should have to stop enjoying Dilbert every day. So if you’re having this issue, here’s a quick fix. Open the location were the gadget lives (c:UsersusernameAppDataLocalMicrosoftWindows SidebarGadgetsDailyDilbert.gadget) and open up DailyDilbert.js. Look for this:

<iframe src="http://csharptricks.com/Projects/Gadgets/news.htm" width="100%" Height="20" frameborder="0"></iframe>

And remove it. Save the file and you should be good to go!